It depends upon your requirements
- Less expensive:Desktop computers generally cost less than laptops with comparable specifications, particularly if you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, and only need to purchase the computer itself.
- Versatile:Desktops have the benefit of being versatile as far as upgrades are concerned. You can add plenty of features to a desktop tower, including DVD burners, extra hard drives, floppy drives and specialty hardware.
- Power usage:Because desktop computers are stationary, they run off of household power all the time. This means your battery will never die while you are in the middle of working on an important document.
- Comfort:Desktop computers can be used with any keyboard, monitor and mouse configuration you find most comfortable, and you can position your desk setup so each of these is resting in the most comfortable position for you.
- Portability:The biggest drawback of a desktop computer is the amount of space it takes up and the extra effort required to move it. If you think you may need your computer at any place other than your desk, a desktop is not a good choice.
- Power usage:If you tend to leave your computer on without saving your data for extended periods of time, this also means that you might lose data due to a power outage.
- Customization: Changing the configuration for different users can be a more involved process than it is with a laptop computer.
- Design:Many varieties of desktop computer designs are available, but most are not as sleek and stylish as laptop computers. If looks are an important part of your computing experience, desktop computers may not be for you.
- Space: Because they pack all components into a compact size, laptops do not need the space of a desktop, which requires a specific and permanent area at home or work. You can put a laptop on any flat surface such as a work desk, dining table, picnic table or your lap.
- Mobility: Because of its light weight, built-in power source, and wireless modem, a laptop can go with you to different locations. You no longer need separate desktops for work, school or home, all of which require synchronization to contain the same information. You can also use a laptop while traveling in a car, train or plane, so your commute time can be more efficient.
- Security: Though you can secure a desktop within a locked room, you can hide a laptop inside a locked drawer within that room. For additional safety from disasters, a laptop can go inside a fireproof safe. For maximum security, it can also be kept in a safe-deposit box in a bank.
- Workaround: One way to avoid some of the usability cons of a laptop, is to attach a full-sized keyboard, external mouse, and monitor. However, this essentially turns it into a desktop and eliminates any mobility advantages.
- Cost: A laptop costs more than an equivalent desktop, even one that includes a premium flat screen. Compare a $649 Dell Studio 15 Laptop that has a 15.6-inch screen, combo drive, 3GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive with a $599 Dell Studio Desktop that has a 17″ screen, combo drive, 2GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. When they become outdated, desktop internals can often be cheaply expanded and upgraded with new boards. But an outdated laptop usually requires replacement.
- Use: A laptop can be harder to use because of the smaller keyboard and screen. The devices lack the separate 10-key pad needed for quick number entry. The mouse pad requires finer finger control but offers less movement flexibility than a separate mouse. Because the laptop screen shrinks the fonts and pictures of a standard display, it may require squinting or reading glasses to view
- Dangers:Because of its size and light weight, a laptop can easily be dropped and damaged. You can also leave it behind in a coffeehouse or airplane, especially if you are in a hurry. Finally, a laptop can easily be stolen by someone during one of your unguarded moments.
Bottom line: If you want a PC with customized needs for specific purpose(Like CAD or Gaming) on a shoestring budget go for a PC ,else a Laptop!